[Dataperf] "Skip To" in the context of a two-level report

Dave Britten davidbrit2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 16:14:39 CEST 2018

Greetings folks,

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out how to make this work as
expected. I've got a time/billing database, with a time entry panel.
I've created a report based on this panel that I'll use to produce
details of all entries within a given month. I want these entries to be
grouped by client, so I've configured the report to use an index on
Client ID, Date, and the first-page header has a two-level subreport
code sorted by Client ID. So far so good; the format of the output is
exactly what I want, and includes some variables that calculate
subtotals and a grand total for various footer sections.

Then I added a prompt for a date that I'm putting in RV1. Try as I
might, I can't figure out where to put the skip-to code to make this the
start date for the report. My assumption is that this would work like a
subreport, and the skip-to would operate on the second field of the
index. When putting the skip-to code in the two-level report header (via
cut/paste, since you can't directly put it there with Ctrl-F7), I get
pretty odd results. When entering "07/01/2018" for the start date, the
report is going straight to a record from 7/9, but not displaying
anything from the two-level header that comes after the skip-to code.
Then the report ends after that one record, displaying both the
two-level footer and final footer. I'm not really sure what to make of that.

What's the correct way to get the effect of a two-level report, with a
start-date prompt that skips to the first record after that date within
each client, and also omits the two-level header/footer for any client
that doesn't have any records within that date range?

--
-Dave Britten