[Dataperf] Different lookup fields for a single data link?

Dave Britten davidbrit2 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 02:07:08 CEST 2018

Hey Tim,

I often have to resort to that in some situations (especially when
linking on a surrogate key, rather than a composite key). In this
particular case, I was able to create TWO data links, one on Title then
ID, and the other on ID then Title. I set their corresponding target
fields to Title and ID respectively. Then depending on which field
you're linking from, you get the corresponding lookup. This worked okay
in this database, though I recall this technique being problematic in
the context of subgroup lookups (i.e. where the link field is not the
first field in the link's key field list), and isn't really an option
when using a single surrogate key field (numeric record ID).

It would be nice if it were possible to press Up to start linking a
record, then just tab around the panel that opens to search from a
different field/lookup. That would be a good feature to add in version
3.0 if DP ever goes open source. ;)

-Dave Britten

--
Dave Britten