[Dataperf] DPSpool printer code <249>DV<249> for Duplex printing.

Tim Rude timrude at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 28 05:29:02 CEST 2017

Hi Ed,

Ugh. Testing the duplex command I see that it is indeed broken somehow. Tracing through the DPSpool source code I'm not exactly sure why at the moment (it has been years since I wrote DPSpool's very complex code, after all). I can see that the duplexing command is being sent to the printer driver but in my tests the printer just sits there and never actually spits out the pages. Very strange. DPSpool's printing routines are a combination of the VB printer object augmented with a lot of API calls to fill in the gaps in the VB printer object's abilities. It would appear that something's not playing nicely together. :(

In any case, there's another way to do duplexing that you might consider as a work-around until I can figure out what's going on under DPSpool's hood (which may take a while).

My printer is also a duplexing printer and for ease of duplex printing (from any number of Windows applications), I created a second copy of the printer and named it 'Duplex Printer xyz'. I then set the printing properties for that copy of the printer to duplex mode. Then whenever I want to print something duplex, I simply select that copy of the printer to print to. I've used a similar trick when I want to be able to easily print to a specific tray. For example, setting up a 'Printer xyz Plain Paper - Tray 1' and a 'Printer xyz Perf Paper - Tray 2', or even a 'Printer xyz Manual Feed'. You can create any number of copies of the same printer, with different preset properties for each. I like it because it makes it quicker to get just what you want without having to futz around with the printer properties each time.

Anyhow, if you create a copy of your printer and pre-configure it to print in duplex mode, you can then have that set up in DPSpool as one of the 9 printer targets and just point your report to go to that one.

To create an additional copy of an existing printer in Windows 7, you do this:

1. Open up Devices and Printers in Control Panel and right-click on the existing printer you want to clone and select 'Printer properties'. Take note of which Port (on the Ports tab) and which Driver (on the Advanced tab) the printer uses. Then close the Printer Properties window.
2. Still in the Devices and Printers screen, click on the 'Add a Printer' button at the top. Then choose 'Add a local printer'. Be sure to select the exact same port and then select the exact same driver. When it asks, tell it to 'Use the driver that is currently installed'. Then specify the new name you want for this copy of the printer. Keep clicking Next until it's done creating the copy.
3. You probably won't see the new copy on your Printers and Devices screen. However, if you right-click again on your original printer and select 'Printing preferences' you'll see that Windows combines both copies of the printer under one icon. So select your new copy and configure the preferences as desired (duplex, tray, etc.).
4. If you ever need to remove one of the clone copies without deleting the entire printer, simply right-click on the combined icon and select 'Delete print queue' and then select the copy you want to remove.

The process for doing this in Windows 10 is very similar. However, in step 2 after clicking on the 'Add a Printer' button, you then have to select 'The printer that I want isn't listed' to stop Windows from fruitlessly searching for a new printer. Then you select the 'Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings' option and then proceed with the rest of step 2.

Give this a shot and see how you like it. You may find it useful for more than just DPSpool.

Tim Rude