[Dataperf] user rights / is it possible to avoid deleting by a user

Tim Rude timrude at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 7 20:22:36 CEST 2017

Yes, it can be done, and very easily at that.

You need to restrict access to the Panel List and only allow users to access panels via a menu. Then for the menu option that goes to the panel, you can select Panel Access Rights of 'Read/Write', 'No Delete', 'Create OK - No Edit/Delete', or 'Read Only'. So in your case, you'd want 'No Delete'.

You'll also want to restrict access to the Report List since a user that can access the Report List could create a report that would delete records. So all of the reports you want users to be able to run also need to be put on a menu.

I generally add an entry to the main menu to go to the Panel List and then assign a password to it. That way I can get in and make necessary modifications as needed while preventing users from messing things up.

Finally, don't forget to protect the database with a Definer password (Shift-F9, 5). Otherwise anyone can hit Alt-F8 from your main menu and do whatever they want.

Tim Rude