[Dataperf] New way to run DP

Brendan Magill brendan at magill.co.uk
Sat Aug 5 21:27:49 CEST 2017

Hi Don and all,

Yes Don, it was a pity that we never got a Windows version of DP as it is still the best database package I’ve ever come across.  We did give it a good try through the DP Cooperative, but it just wasn’t meant to happen.

I started using DP in about 1983/4 when it was still SSI Data and for several years I ran it under DOS, Concurrent CP/M and Multiuser CP/M.  The great advantage of using Multiuser CP/M was that I was able to offer remote support to my DP customers as early as 1988 and that proved to be a very good selling point.  In those days my DP applications were mostly for local government departments and for real estate agents;  I only got rid of my last DP customer in 2010 even though my business had migrated from IT to employment and disability work from about 1996.  I have so many wonderful memories of our online discussions about DP via CompuServe and then via direct emails.  Those were great times.  I did meet up with Ralph Alvy a couple of times when he came over here to the UK.

Cheers,

Brendan.
--

BRENDAN MAGILL