[Dataperf] New way to run DP

Don Friedman don at professionalrecords.com
Fri Aug 4 03:47:28 CEST 2017

Chris - VDOS is a very handy and dependable "front end" tool to use DP in a
Windows environment. Easy to setup and configure once you've done it once
or twice, really allows a better visual image on the screen and keeping
reports accessible from Windows or DOS. Takes up very little overhead. The
downside is that despite some improvements in this area, it is very slow to
import data and run longer reports. For a quick posting and even a short
report it's fine, but most of my work is with large databases and the
differences are stunning. I don't have my stats handy but when I'm
importing 500K voters it could take an hour running under Win10 32-bit
command prompt, a full day running under VDOS. It's that dramatic.

I know so little about underlying programming that my assumption is however
Lew and Forth managed memory and buffering transactions has some serious
conflict with VDOS and other DOS boxes I've tried. Whatever, I run a couple
of 32-bit machines just for that purpose. We use VDOS to actually post
transactions (generally voter contacts, etc.). Most people who end up
working on this data during an election cycle never see anything except
VDOS.

Hope all is well with you. Still in Florida?

Don

*Don FriedmanProfessionalRecords.Com LLCPRS Data Systems*

*205 S Main StreetPittsburgh, PA   152151-800-PRS-FILE 412-784-1615 Fax*
*412-400-3881 Cell/Text*