[Dataperf] Is there a better way of doing this?

Chris Pedersen chrispedersen at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 3 21:02:47 CEST 2017

I'm sure this was answered previously.

Created an index on the number of votes.
Create a field for the ordinal position he finished (1, 2, 3, 4, 5.. or alternately (more difficult) first, second, third)
Create a report based on the index.

N=1
Insert N into Ordinal field.
N=N+1.. rinse repeat till end of file.

Now alternately, if you wanted this field to update all the time (don't have to manually run report), you could create a subpanel based off the index.  You would also need a cascade trigger on the master panel.

ie.,   Master Panel records has an data link to the subpanel.   Something like "VotesChanged" Y/N.  Which links to all subpnel records.  When the record changes, it would trigger a recalc on the ordinal numbering.

More or less, ralph's book had a section on this, iirc. Conceptually it is similary to line items on an order.    He used a recursive link to increment the ordinal number.

Chris