[Dataperf] DP-created text file on user's desktop

Ed Marfil, MAST UNITED edmarfil at mastunited.com
Tue Apr 25 19:29:05 CEST 2017

Hi Tim,

I use your DPSpool method to create a text file.  I assigned a generic text file printer and simply selected that as one of the printers serving DPSpool.  Since it is in C drive, every time a user runs the report it creates the file in the user’s local computer.  The only thing I haven’t figured out is how to have the report automatically name itself.  Currently it prompts the user to enter the output filename.  Here is a process to add a generic text printer (skimmed from a website);

To create a text file printer you would do the following:

Go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers.

1.    Click 'Add a printer' at the top.

2.    Choose 'Add a local printer'.

3.    Select 'Use an existing port' and set it to "FILE: (Print to File)".

4.    Set the driver to Generic > Generic / Text Only. Click Next.

5.    Type in a name for the printer (e.g. Text File Printer). Click Next.

6.    Select "Do not share this printer" and click Next.

7.    Click Finish.

When you select that printer and "print" to it, you will be asked to enter an "Output File Name".
The resulting file will be an ASCII text file, and will contain the information that would be printed to any other standard printer, but in text form. This means that only text will be kept. All formatting will be stripped along with any images or other graphical elements.

Good luck.

Ed.