[Dataperf] DP-created text file on user's desktop

Tim Rude timrude at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 25 14:42:00 CEST 2017

No, the actual file itself really needs to be on the desktop. But thanks for the suggestion!

As I ponder this, I'm starting to think that the subst method may actually be best, despite its drawbacks. Having the DP app able to just output to drive Q: to land something on the desktop is really handy. Plus, if the app gets run on a 64 bit machine using VDos, I can configure VDos to also have a Q: drive pointing to the user's desktop. Or if later another destination is preferred then Q: can be remapped in the batch file or VDos without having to change anything in the DP app. Since this is an in-house app used by only 4 user's (and I'm the IT guy), I can ensure that drive Q: remains available for my purposes.

I was actually posing the question more as a way to get ideas of how to get DP to output to user-specific folder(s) in a reliable and fairly bullet-proof manner, in case I (or anyone else here) needed to do so for a distributed app.